Champaign County Coroner
Duane E. Northrup
Release of Information
Information concerning traumatic cases will not be released until after an inquest is held. Information can be obtained by immediate family members and/or insurance companies. The Freedom of Information Act allows for non-family members to obtain reasonable information concerning a decedent if that person has a good reason to have said information. However, this can be denied.
Under the State Statute (Public Act 96-1161 of Illinois Revised Statutes) the office of coroner is to charge for specific documents. These fees are listed below:
- Inquest Transcript $ 5.00 per Page
- Verdict Sheet (included in transcript) $ 5.00
- Autopsy Report $ 50.00
- Toxicology Report $ 25.00
- Coroner’s Report of Death $ 25.00
- Photos (from scene and/or autopsy) $ 3.00 per Photo
- Miscellaneous Reports $ 25.00 each
- Cremation Permit Fee $50.00
Not every case will warrant all of the above tests and/or documentation. Furthermore, only those documents generated by our office will be available.
If you want information on a specific case, you can come to our office at 202 S. Art Bartell Rd., Urbana Illinois 61802 or you can call from 8:00Am to 4:30Pm Monday through Friday at 217-384-3888.